My New 1975 Devon Eurovette. Full resto.

Discussion in 'Restorations' started by carlperkins001, Nov 24, 2012.

  1. Best thing is one light but covering coat then one heavier when it's flashed off. No sanding.
     
    womball likes this.
  2. Thanks, yeah man really chuffed, the paint isnt perfect up close, but i'm happy with it!
     
    Lardy likes this.
  3. Yeah theres a couple of runs in it that need sorting, then i'll re-coat.
    I'll do the above when i do the bottom half. Thanks man
     
    zedders likes this.
  4. Oh my lord fella, been a while since I've seen your thread, and amazing progress... Beautiful work!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
     
  5. Update from last saturday, got a sexond coat on top.

    [​IMG]

    And got the poptop skirt painted

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    Track covers need another coat.
    Paint tin lid looks nice though

    [​IMG]

    Got the inner bit done too,

    [​IMG]

    The new bellows is getting here tomorrow.
     
  6. Knocked the edging around the poptop skirt earlier

    [​IMG]

    Then put it in the roof to get it out the way.

    [​IMG]

    And the new bellows has arrived :)

    [​IMG]

    Anyone know how you get the rods in?!
    I assume i need to make a slit in the pocket and slide them in from the inside?
     
    Merlin Cat likes this.
  7. Where did you get the new bellows?
    I imagine turn inside out and slide in from the ends, I'll have a look tomorrow if I remember and it's not raining.
     
  8. Poptop parts mate. £535 and I ordered it 6 months ago lol. Looks good though.

    There's 4 straps to limit the upwards movement, and there's 6 more that are shorter, I assume they go down the sides somewhere, can you have a look at that too if you get a minute?
     
  9. There are 2 each end, 3 each side. They have loops for the rods?
     
  10. Yeah, I think I have to cut the insides of the poptop bits a bit to fit them, I'll buy new stainless rods tomorrow.
    The 4 long ones at the end are riveted to the roof, but the side ones.. I can see how they fit top and bottom.
     
  11. There are several different but very similar versions of these roofs. Did you take pics before you dismantled it?
     
  12. NOPE! Lol.

    I'm sure i'll manage to wing it together lol.
     
    zedders likes this.
  13. So i picked up the new stainless rods today. £30 in total, and theyre marine grade :)

    [​IMG]

    Measured up and fitted the rods and straps

    [​IMG]

    Laid it in the top

    [​IMG]

    Riveted the strip on

    [​IMG]


    Happy with it so far!

    [​IMG]

    Will do the other side on thursday.
     
    Coco, paradox, JamesLey and 2 others like this.
  14. Got the other long strip riveted on.
    And the 4 end straps riveted down

    [​IMG]

    Flipped it over, then glued the vinyl on top. The glue stinks!
    Theres a few bubbles but i cant really do anything about it

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    zedders likes this.
  15. So today i gave the poptop a rollering to get more bubbles out, then trimmed off the excess vinyl

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Put the seal round and glued the ends

    [​IMG]

    To get the two bits together was a nightmare!! It was so fristrating i had to keep having breaks. Got there in the end though.
    [​IMG]

    Just waiting for the diamond lacing tool to arrive and i can put the insert in. Also have new stainless bots on the way for the struts. Then i will rivet the vent on.

    Sat it on to see what it'll look like.

    [​IMG]
     
    Merlin Cat, nicktuft, zedders and 3 others like this.
  16. Update from yesterday, decided to build the bunks up.

    Used new stainless bolts

    [​IMG]

    Also got these nifty little end caps to make it nice and neat.
    Had to hop a bit off to allow for the nits inside

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Merlin Cat, Kruger and JamesLey like this.
  17. Got the seal insert in after work today.

    [​IMG]

    Also got the ends rivetid down.

    [​IMG]

    And the j seal in around the edge.

    [​IMG]

    Just waiting for some bolts and some insulation then i can get the headliner and struts on. Then stick the vent on and its done.
     
    paradox, robcod, zedders and 3 others like this.
  18. Looking good!
     
    carlperkins001 likes this.
  19. And a bit more on the poptop

    Got some dodomat closed cell foam for insulation. Double sided taped it also its got its own adhesive on it, then i duct taped the gaps and put a bit of tape here and there just incase the adhesive fails a bit

    [​IMG]

    Put the headlining on. The clips will hurt your fingers, so made this little tool, a bit of leftover j seal duct taped to the finger

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    Cut the vent hole out

    [​IMG]

    And knock on the u-trim

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Merlin Cat and nicktuft like this.
  20. Spent 5 hours last night reading from the start, jumped out of bed and continued this morning. Amazing stuff. Reminds me of when i did mine, just not in as much detail! Im almost sad its not finished so i can continue reading but looking forward to updates.
     
    Merlin Cat likes this.

Share This Page