Project Myrtle: Jim’s Baja Bug Build

Discussion in 'Restorations' started by JamesLey, Sep 8, 2019.

  1. Good skills as always James ;)

    Stirlingmoz
     
    JamesLey likes this.
  2. The work looks very nice :thumbsup:
     
    JamesLey likes this.
  3. JamesLey

    JamesLey Sponsor

    Sometimes things don’t quite go to plan.

    After epoxy priming the chassis last Friday I was planning to seam seal the whole chassis the next day, only to find the paint was covered in wrinkles and was still wet in places. Thinking that perhaps the cold weather might’ve affected it I left it to harden for a week.
    When I went down Friday the paint was still wet so I knew something had gone horribly wrong. I double checked the data sheets and discovered that my paint supplier had sent me the wrong hardener! My chassis was coated in a useless mess.

    Cue 2 days of stripping the gloop off with a wire wheel and repriming it with some of the old epoxy primer I had left over from the van.
    I’ll now erase this whole fiasco from my memory.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    F_Pantos likes this.
  4. JamesLey

    JamesLey Sponsor

    Finished up the passenger seat back yesterday and did a trial fit. Love how these have come out. A lot more complex than any of the other seats I’ve done so far but well worth it!

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  5. What a nightmare with the pan these things are sent to test us I’m sure.
    The seats looking great though
     
    JamesLey likes this.
  6. JamesLey

    JamesLey Sponsor

    I did just stare at it for about 10 minutes in complete hatred. Pulled myself out of it and just cracked on.
    Apparently I'm not allowed to keep the seat in the living room as my old man seat. :oops:
     
  7. JamesLey

    JamesLey Sponsor

    A good start to the New Year on the Baja. Seam sealed and Raptor coated the underside, framehead and framehorns. Colour coded in Savannah Biege, or as Max always calls it “Bundy Biege” :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    mcswiggs, iblaze, paradox and 4 others like this.
  8. Quality work. They definitely look the part. Where did you source your material?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  9. JamesLey

    JamesLey Sponsor

    Got the rest of the baja chassis painted over the weekend.
    I can now start cleaning up and bolting bits back on to build up a rolling chassis.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    Jean-François and nobayinhell like this.
  10. JamesLey

    JamesLey Sponsor

    Thanks mate, should look lovely in the bug.

    The vinyl is from Upholstery Fabrics UK: https://www.upholstery-fabricsuk.co...iti/cristina-marrone-infiniti-inf-1849-camel/
    The fabric is from Norfolk Textiles: https://norfolktextiles.co.uk/clarke--clarke-tahoma-in-earth-88853-p.asp


    A word of warning, the fabric is eye wateringly expensive! I'd already decided I had to have the fabric in the interior, then I looked at the price!
     
  11. Cheers - it definitely looks the part. Looking forward to seeing that interior in the final bug.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     

Share This Page