My 79 Devon Moonraker

Discussion in 'Show Us Your Ride' started by chrisselby, Apr 19, 2013.

  1. Ooooh yes please spongebob :)
     
  2. Nice one. Ta. :)
     
  3. Major engine troubles today, see my post in mech tech :( ground to a halt and upon restarting was making some really bad noises, big clunks :(
     
  4. Oooooohh!! Id defo be interested in some of those moon raker stickers please?!! :D

    B
     
  5. Mines an auto 78 moonraker and mine had
    VW_AUTOMATIC script that im slow refurbing
     
  6. Show off :p
     
    brucieboy likes this.
  7. Engine out tomorrow and then strip down to go off to be rebuilt !

    Also windscreen is out after finding out in the pouring rain it leaks like a sieve.

    Going to sort a bit of surface rust out and reprint around the windscreen before the screen is refitted.

    The chap fitting it is reusing the same rubber as its brand new nearly, but is going to use some sealant to make sure it seals.

    Taking the plunge and starting to use rustoleum, will order savannah magnolia to repaint the lower half as its currently done in celly but with a poor finish.
     
  8. ok bit of an update from the last few weeks,

    I pulled the engine, and totally stripped it to the case, boxing up the bits and it is now with Nigel Allen to be rebuilt. One of the conrods was rattling around when i removed the barrels. No evidence of a bearing being there ha! Also Crankshaft is mullered where that bearing was, cannot even be reground so a new crank is going in!
    The pistons and barrells have some minute scratches, which can be polished out, but whilst im at this stage Nigel has recommended fitting new Mahle Pistons and barrels as they are much higher quality. The heads are fine, new valves to be fitted which i think is standard, the case is currently off to be line bored and cleaned off :)

    I have also had a good day on the tinware, wire brushing and painting to tart it up. Some if it has been welded before, some badly some good, but at the moment i cant really afford much more expense so if its ok and has no holes it been painted for refit.
    I need some new cylinder head tins which i will try and source some second hand original replacements.

    I have bought a new fan shroud, to save me getting my existing one welded, so i have removed the 'vortex' ring from my old one to refit to the replacement. Given it a good rub sown and a lick of paint :)

    Just got the engine bay to paint now, which I may do grey aswell :)

    I have also started stripping down my components and tarting up. I have a new set of pulleys, a new dizzy cap and rotor arm fitted to my 009 with acuspark ignition, new air filter, cleaned carb up, cleaned dizzy up,
    cleaned up my inlet manifold and painted the exhaust ports, cleaned up oil cooler mount and replaced the cooler with a new one.

    Also removed my windscreen after noticing a major leak on the bottom on the drivers side. Poor attempt by PO to cure problem by pumping sillicone in the seal, so i have started tidying up the seam that the seal sits on, will paint inside and out and get hold of a new seal which will be bonded in aswell to make sure!

    Pics to follow :)
     
    Lord Congi likes this.
  9. engine out
    [​IMG]
    front
    [​IMG]
    top
    [​IMG]
    tins off
    [​IMG]
    box of bits!
    [​IMG]
    block
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    barrells off
    [​IMG]
     
  10. the offending conrod/bearing
    [​IMG]
    engine code
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pistons/barrells
    [​IMG]
    more bits
    [​IMG]
    should i have a seal here?
    [​IMG]
    manifold cleaned up before and after
    [​IMG]
    old and replacement fan housing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    carb manifold before
    [​IMG]
     
  11. oil cooler before
    [​IMG]
    oil cooler after
    [​IMG]
     
  12. carb manifold after
    [​IMG]
    distributer cleaned up and cap rotor replaced
    [​IMG]
     
  13. fan hosing before
    [​IMG]
    cleaned up
    [​IMG]
    vortex ring fitting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    in primer
    [​IMG]
     
  14. painted
    [​IMG]
    other tins painted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    rear engine bar painted
    [​IMG]
    broken alternator post not sure how to fix his?
    [​IMG]
     
    Lord Congi likes this.
  15. Blimey you've been getting stuck in ! Good work
     
  16. Top job! Well done :) gotta be honest, after all that metal swishing around off the con rod and crank I would be changing oil cooler! Outside looks good but I reckon the inside will be pretty clogged! They are cheaper than you think! £45.00 ;)
     
  17. So given the tins another coat, inside and out, ordered some new cylinder head tins as mine where badly welded together, ordered a new woodruff key, and doe loctite 638 to bond woodruff onto shaft, and will bond the bottom half of the pulley wheel onto the shaf as well. If the alternator needs to b replaced ill get another pulley.
    I've stared the reassembly, putting bits back onto the fan housing, fitted the vortex ring, it does seem however that I have copied paradox colour coding, I must have seen the colours, and then subcontiously picked the same grey when in the shop, I already had he red and thought I'd do some bits but it seems I have done the same bits!

    Now need to order a new coil, an a full few oil filter mount

    Fan housing reassembly
    [​IMG]
     
    Lord Congi likes this.
  18. if your still missing any bits it's the cvwoc swap meet on sunday over at retrodubs
     
  19. Mini_Bungle what time is the swap meet, might be good to get up there, prob not good for my wallet though!
     

Share This Page