Glenda the 73 bay

Discussion in 'Restorations' started by foe, Feb 7, 2012.

  1. foe

    foe

    Right need to start up my resto again :) Glenda is on 74 plates, but was built in 73 so I'm going to go from her build date.

    I will update as ofter as i can so please bear with me :)

    Will start off with the resto before I got her and here she was with her previous owner who painted her black as she was painted (by hand and with blue dulux paint)!

    Lol love the split look ::)
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    She was left matt black for only a short while before she was taken for the rust to be dealt with. You will also notice she was also a tin top.
     
  2. Good to see another project up, much to do on this?

    Be a shame to take away the anti radar paint though.
     
  3. Diddymen

    Diddymen Moderator

    loving the splitty theme :eek:

    K+ for reposting
     
  4. foe

    foe

     
  5. Looking forward to more pics dude
     
  6. foe

    foe

    Ok so after the radar paint she had to go in for a front clip replacement due to the deformation panel rotting

    Panel off
    [​IMG]

    front deformation off
    [​IMG]
    Bits welded back in
    [​IMG]

    At this point it was decided to not replace the defo panel
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    will update again tomorrow :)
     
  7. Cool mate
     
  8. foe

    foe

     
  9. foe

    foe

    So the front clip was replaced and she had to go off to be painted. When she was sanded down it emerged she was jaffa, but on the birth cert she was all white.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    She came out of the painters.....
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Neptuneblue likes this.
  10. Blimey that looks a bit different from the first pic, Great work!

    Really nice colour too :thumbsup:
     
  11. bernjb56

    bernjb56 Moderator

    She's looking really good - like that colour :)
     
  12. Looks nice in paint dude
     
  13. foe

    foe

     
  14. foe

    foe

    After coming out of the pinters, she then went on to have some early bumpers, and a fetching roof rack fitted

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Now this is the part that eludes me as not so long after she had her Danbury pop top fitted, but there is no picture documentation of the work prior to fitting only after,

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    A quick shot of the interior...............pretty much one of the only ones,
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Neptuneblue likes this.
  15. foe

    foe

    So a few years pass and she falls into my hands. It was a straight swap for my 1969 1200 bug, which I swapped for a mk3 golf gti 8v, which I bought for £1500 when I smashed up my Volvo s40 t4 and got £1800 for the volvo, so not a bad deal :)These are some of the first pics I took of her,

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    And eventually I was going to start my own work on her ;)
     
  16. foe

    foe

    So the first things first the o/s battery tray needed sorting as a bit of ply was fitted over the rusty bit,

    Not good
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    what was left
    [​IMG]

    All cut out
    [​IMG]

    mmmm new metal errr from about 3years ago, but pretend this is a new resto as starting form the begining a few years ago ;)

    [​IMG]
     
  17. dog

    dog Administrator

    nice bit of history from your bus buddy, looking forward to seeing your updates!
     
  18. foe

    foe

    Thanks dog :)

    The next task was to replace the tired dash. I did this next as I a good condition prototype dash came my way.

    Old dash
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The start of the dismantling
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    To this
    [​IMG]

    Early dash in
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  19. foe

    foe

    So after the dash was added I replaced the dash pod, but I didn't realise the one I bought was an prototype! But i didn't want to waste the £20 it cost me so I operated on the dash and swapped them over.

    Late
    [​IMG]

    To early
    [​IMG]
     
  20. foe

    foe

    So after faffing with the dash and clocks I moved on to some body work;

    Before
    [​IMG]

    After
    [​IMG]

    sorted out the rear end
    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page