What’s this?

Discussion in 'Mech Tech' started by Jonboy_t, Sep 15, 2019.

  1. Just stripping the engine down and need to remove 2 more of these to get the tinware off but one of them ain’t budging and is about to become sacrificial! Can’t find them on JK and not sure what it’s called to search for it.

    Don’t know how clear the pic is, but they go into the heads, one on one side and two on the other. They join (what looks like) a vacuum pipe from one head to the other.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Ooooo, that's a left hand DoHickey that is.
    Hopefully someone sensible will (hold on sensible!!!) more knowledgeable will be along to answer your question properly.
    Uncle Nick and Jonboy_t like this.
  3. Yeah, type 4, 1.8l. Was/is just below the carb manifold on both sides.

    This one came out ok, the other two are just warping as soon as I apply any pressure.
  4. davidoft

    davidoft Sponsor

    They are EGR tunes, you need to blocked the holes you’re making by pulling them out
    snotty likes this.
  5. I can’t get two of them out at the mo :( The one side came out easy enough but the other two are just warping.

    Do you mean block them off just while it’s being stripped down?

    Also, any idea where I can get them? Can’t find them on JK or VW Heritage!
  6. davidoft

    davidoft Sponsor

    Block the top end without removing them, try some heat on the head to get them moving, not aware of them being available anywhere, you can weld the tube up to block it off or find an appropriate bolt
  7. Cool, so get rid of the EGR system completely
  8. davidoft

    davidoft Sponsor

    Unless you want to try and find a carb based EGR setup ( I believe I have one ) but easier not to have it
  9. Cool beans, that makes life MUCH easier!

    Cheers bud :thumbsup:

Share This Page