under my cab seats on the wheel arches

Discussion in 'Restorations' started by nicko_1982, Jan 6, 2013.

  1. Just wondering if anyone else has this stuff on there wheel arches & under there seats.
    I guess the first photo is just for insulation in the cab

    Anyone know what this is for? & where I can get more of it? if it's to protect the metalwork
  2. Poptop2

    Poptop2 Moderator

    i haven't seen that stuff on bays before i'm guessing it is sound deadening .

    "i haven't seen it " doesn't mean it should not be there , it just means i have not seen it before !
  3. The black sticky stuff yeah? or the horrible multicoloured fabric
  4. Poptop2

    Poptop2 Moderator

    The multicoloured fabric is most defo a add on .
  5. i expect someone just put it there for sound proofing..diy job ide say .mine has rubber matts with sponge layer under it glued to that place from the factory...you can buy them.
  6. Poptop2

    Poptop2 Moderator

    you can get that silver bubble wrap with sticky backing if that is any help ?
  7. poptop2 is that a similar thing to thermawrap? might be useful to keep a little more heat in the cab.

    die schnecke - do you have a link to what you mean?
    Thanks guys
  8. Poptop2

    Poptop2 Moderator

    yes - like thermowrap with sticky backing , expensive from vw suppliers though .
  9. ok cool thanks

    What do you all have under your seats or are they onto straight cabfloor?

    I had to get rid of this multi coloured fabric as it was gross !! ::)
  10. I have never seen that stuff on any bay & I've seen loads. I'm sure its an add on by a previous owner. You can get it new it has a few names:-
    Crash pads
    Sound deadening mats
    anti drum mats
    You can also get then in car audio shops Its called dynomat or similar.
  11. The fabric stuff looks like the insides of a futon.
  13. Poptop2

    Poptop2 Moderator

    When doing my van up i found bits of insulation stuck here and there , can't honestly say i l like to see anything stuck on the metal work now , i am sure the proper underseat rubber mats would be a better option .
  14. seen stuff like that on some classic cars under the mats
    Nice wiring by the way
  16. The first picture is of a 42oz wool felt underlay-its the type of underlay your gran had under her carpet in the 60s
    I sell it - but mostly under carpets!

    It costs £2.00 m2 and is great where there is no damp
    But not in a camper - it will hold water and rot your van.

Share This Page