Project Myrtle: Jim’s Baja Bug Build

Discussion in 'Restorations' started by JamesLey, Sep 8, 2019.

  1. Cheers mate. It’s about the level of rot I was expecting. Looks to have never had a proper resto, just lots of MOT repairs over the years.

    Enjoying the pace of this, feel like months worth of welding rather than the years that a bus needs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    zedders and Dubs like this.
  2. Haha! Yes! Busses take forever and cost £££’s! My cab was far quicker than the bus to restore. I particularly like the way you are bolting the crossmembers and heater channels to the pan and then lowering the body on. Makes proper sense and should line up so much easier. Nice one!
     
    Dub and Dubber and JamesLey like this.
  3. A trick I pinched from the Jim Tyler book on bug restoration. It's a bit of an old school read, and my wife has made unfair comparisons of me and the guy in the book!
    [​IMG]
     
    Skyelectrix and Mark Darby like this.
  4. The weather over the last few weeks has finally dried out the track down to the workshop,so I got an evening in on the Baja and took the bus so I could bring the rear seat home to reupholster.
    [​IMG]

    I’ve done a final mockup of the lower framework now with everything pinned in place and tacked together.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Removed the lower framework to weld it all together and have started welding in the heater channels. I ended up cutting out my O/S A pillar repair which I’d previously tacked in as it sat too low for the B pillar to sit nicely on the heater channel. Happy with the fitment of the drivers door, so just need to repeat this on the other side and then get everything welded in properly. This should give some much needed strength back into the baja.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Kruger, bagpus, Skyelectrix and 4 others like this.
  5. Do you take work on? Seriously good looking, Jim :thumbsup: between you and Simon, you could make a business of upholstery.
     
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    JamesLey likes this.
  6. I've been considering it! It's mainly a welcome change to staring at code and design docs all day.
     
    F_Pantos likes this.
  7. Full set of door cards for the Baja finished! (Barnaby helping out as usual).
    There’s something just a little bit special about this fabric.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    I’ll be starting to tear down the rear seat this week to make a start on reupholstering it soon.
     
  8. A bucket load of welding completed on the bug over the weekend, and a ton of strength put back into the shell.

    N/S door gaps checked and heater channel welded in:

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Front bulkhead and rear cross members completely welded in too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    I’ve a bit of weld tidy up to do around the B pillars then I’ll be onto to fully welding in both floorpans.
    [​IMG]
     
    Kruger, markey, The Drama Man and 6 others like this.
  9. Floor pan day! Storming on with the welding at the moment.

    Made myself some jumbo grips to help get a tight fit along the spine welds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Both floor pans are now fully welded in, I just need to finish dressing the N/S pan welds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Also got the pedal strengthener and hinge welded in.
    [​IMG]

    Even this little dog seemed intrigued by the bug today!
    [​IMG]
     
    Kruger, nicktuft, markey and 9 others like this.
  10. Couldn’t resist test fitting the first seat cover! The baja’s interior is going to look pretty special I think.
    [​IMG]
     
    markey, paradox and MorkC68 like this.
  11. Getting the next batch of repair panels fettled to fit the baja. Front arch inners are done. I’ll get the rear quarters fettled too before painting the insides of them all with epoxy and then welding them in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Trial fitted the front wings to check the bolt holes. Can’t wait to test fit the rest of the baja kit now!
    [​IMG]
     
  12. Quarter panel repairs trimmed to perfection. I’ve a few repairs to make to the inners of the quarters before I can weld these in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    Valveandy, Dubs, markey and 2 others like this.
  13. Nice that the lower rear 1/4 repair panel fitted so nicely. When i did mine the klokkerholmm one was about an inch out where it met the wing mounting area. :rolleyes: Photo11-08-2012172534.jpg
     
    JamesLey likes this.
  14. Mine stuck out a fair bit there until I'd got the front face fitting nicely, and then needed a bit of flattening as the repair panel bends were too harsh. Maybe they've improved the pressing a little since yours, that does look out a fair bit!
     
  15. It pretty needed flattening out and starting again. Would have been better just making it from scratch. I think klokkerholm panels have improved a bit since.
     
    JamesLey likes this.
  16. Finished up the back of the rear bench today and trial fitted it to the frame. It’s passed schnauzer quality control!
    [​IMG]

    Feel I’m definitely getting better at upholstery but I’m forever my harshest critic.
     
    Zebedee, paradox, Dubs and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dubs

    Dubs Sponsor

    Looks like its got the seal of approval of the QA operative! :thumbsup:
     
    F_Pantos likes this.
  18. I'd literally just finished sewing it up and left it on the living room floor for 2 mins. Came back and he was asleep on it!

    Christ he needs a hair cut though. Finally got him booked in next week for a groom, hasn't been cut since Feb/March (even longer for me, and I look worse!)
     
    Dubs likes this.

Share This Page