Discussion in 'Restorations' started by Zebedee, Sep 9, 2011.
she's definitely a phoenix and one day she will rise!
its always a shame to see the bits that need work are the ones that have had "repair" work done before
K+ to keep you going
I am in awe. Bringing that snot bucket back from the dead is like trying to recycle toilet paper. And yet, you seem to be managing.
Hey, there's a proper name for it. Snot. It draws attention to the irony of your love for the pathetic eyesore.
But it will be strong and beautiful one day and then you & Snot can tell the world to go to Hell. 8)
She's getting built up as a historic rally car so i can have some sideways fun.
A quick photoshop of how it may look:
Mock up of dash:
Drivers side rear suspension mount was supposidly replaced by the vw 'specialist' but it was tacked over the old rot and undersealed so ended up like this:
so i chopped it out:
and a new panel was welded in:
I got given another bonnet off a mate who was scrapping a bug.
It was a little stone rashed but cleaned up nicely:
Well if you're going to do all that, you must mark a few switches with funny labels like Pass. Eject, Oil Slick, and Missile Target / Launch
The spare wheel and front bumper mounts are a little crispy:
But luckily i got given this off my mate Jeremy:
Mates, who needs then eh? ;D
I drilled out all the spot welds in the new heater channel and removed the bottom plate to find...
no paint anywhere.
No wonder they don't last very long. :
So i rust cured everything:
And its now painted with red oxide and a nice coat of chassis black.
Its now welded back together and will be waxoyled to within an inch of its life once all the welding is done.
Thats as far as i've got for now.
I still need some donor panels including a bit of roof to fill my knackered glass sunroof that doesn't shut properly anymore.
I did find this old swedish galvanised roof rack in my shed which looks pretty nice.
Cool build zeb, I'm doing the same to a 68 had exatly the same probs under the rear seat it was patched over from outside and inside by "Vw experts" to make a big rust sandwich, the car even came with a bill for the work in it's folder
The heater channel is now all nicely zipped up again and painted in red oxide primer:
I've cut out the rear 1.5" of the front 1/4 panel to remove this rot:
and bent up a nice replacement section to fill the gap:
Its amazing what you can do with just a vise and a hammer.
After a long time off the bug i decided to crack on with some more bodywork in the hope of getting it into paint before the summer (what summer ) ends.
A bit of a poke with a screwdriver revealed this rot in the rear gutter.
Grot cut out:
A bit from a donor bug cut to fit:
and welded in:
and primed and solid again. ;D
Next to be cut out is the rear 1/4 panel bottom and heater channel:
Found a little hole in panel just infront of the bumper mount which i'll cut out and repair.
I'm on the lookout for a front scuttle to replace the rot on mine.
nice wok on the beetle stick at it , itl be done in no time , if your bate i have a metal sun roof you could weld in place , owen nw
I've thought about fitting a sliding fabric roof instead but can't find one cheap enough.
Cut the rot out in the inner arch today and gave the rest a coat of red oxide primer:
Did a bit of welding today:
A bit of fillering:
And some cutting
Glad to see you have got a lift in life and are cracking on dude
Separate names with a comma.