Heat Exchager to Fan housing Gaskets, Where from ?!?! (Type 4)

Discussion in 'Mech Tech' started by H14HPF, Feb 12, 2020.

  1. Hi All,

    My first post on here !! currently rebuilding my type 4 engine for my 76' westy and I am at the point of trying to get hold of the gaskets which go on the cover plates from the heat exchanger to fan housing. Part numbers are: 021- 256-325A and 021-256-326A. CSP stock them but 22Euros postage!! does anybody have a solution with these? mine had non fitted when the engine was stripped so I have nothing to stencil from. I was thinking maybe a neat broad bead of High temp silicone to create a seal, or if anybody knows of stock in the UK that would be great aswell.

    Many Thanks,
    snotty likes this.
  2. That's what i did and it's been fine for 5 years and many more .
  3. the red high temp stuff .
  4. that's good to know then, I believe the originals were 3mm thick so a bead of silicone should do it nicely. Many thanks for the reply Faust
  5. I never even knew there was a gasket there! Not seen it on a parts diagram....
  6. I bought 2 hardly used original heat exchangers and they had the red silicone on them so just assumed that was what vw did .
    Never seen gaskets for them .
  7. if you look up ratwells article on heat exchangers he shows them and how he made some from cork (a lot like rocker cover gasket material). I think I will go with red high temp RTV now I know others have used this method! Thanks
  8. I did this - made them from cork gasket following the ratwell instructions - https://ratwell.com/technical/Heating.html

  9. It's only when the engine has stopped it gets hot in that area ...it's getting direct cool air from the fan .
  10. I'll pop some thin stove rope tape in there.. Got some somewhere....

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Share This Page