Gusbus; the trials and tribulations of your first bus

Discussion in 'Featured restos' started by MorkC68, Nov 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It all started back in 2007 on our way to St Davids, we passed an prototype loaded up and heading off on an adventure. We thought it would be great fun to own one ourselves.
    First stop, a guy called Dave in Ashbourne, Splitz Bayz nBugz to see what it was all about. Mostly Indonesian rebuilt hack jobs :eek:
    Roll on September 2008, Michelle went away for the weekend & left a certain someone at home with beer. Beer leads to good ideas & good ideas lead to eBay, where Gusbus was listed..3am in the morning Buy it Now..sorted innit!

    He was listed as fully restored..yeah right :( needed a new interior, no problem :) suits us, we can put our own stamp on him :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    So we collected him from Leicester..magnet test worked, he ran okay, it poured with rain..we paid up and headed for home - petrol station was fun, petrol leaked from the filler neck. Heating..what heating. M1, that was fun, 45 km/h flat out! Got to a hill on the way back to my parents, he got slower and slower, only just crawled up!!
     
  2. Got him into the garage to have a good look around him, put a plan of attack together, sort the niggles out, ie burst rear brake pipe. This is where it all went downhill fast.

    Rear valance was rotten
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Battery trays had gone too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Engine bay work done for now
    [​IMG]
     
  3. We knew the floor was rotten as we found that out when we looked under the hardboard that came installed
    [​IMG]

    So out it came!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Whilst we was doing that, we decided to replace the whole of the sill sections either side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  4. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    New outriggers/jacking points
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  5. In the meantime we did some homework on who had worked on Gusbus - The Bus Stop in Leicester (who put a new front beam on after the PO hit a concrete bollard), Absolute VW who did a few odds & ends and a bunch of the PO's mates who bodged and codged in general. :eek:

    So, after doing the left hand side long sill, we found some issues with the rear wheel arch tub and lower panel..time to investigate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Much tidier!
    [​IMG]
     
  6. With all of the sills done, we turned our attention to prepping for refitting the floor panels, red oxide followed by a liberal coat or two of black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    I think our attention turned to the cab area - photo history suggests we removed the front beam to paint underneath the cab etc..only to find the beam was rotten
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    New rust free beam
    [​IMG]

    new ball joints
    [​IMG]
     
  7. The front panel was next, some rot found here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    we tried to repair the panel but it wasn't successful and warped it, so off with the old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    on with the new
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  8. beam painted and back on
    [​IMG]

    front wheelarches stone chipped
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    paint bought
    [​IMG]

    floor refitted
    [​IMG]
     
  9. rust bubbles on the roof can only lead to
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    seats trial fitted
    [​IMG]

    gearbox and driveshafts fitted
    [​IMG]

    few bits round the rear windows to sort
    [​IMG]
     
  10. ready for painting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  11. Dashboard
    [​IMG]

    engine in
    [​IMG]

    rear lights
    [​IMG]

    bullet indicators
    [​IMG]
    tailgate and engine hatch
    [​IMG]

    doors
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  12. sort the roof lining out and build in some lights in pods
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    flooring
    [​IMG]

    start trimming
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Spring plates had bad corrosion, replaced them with good ones
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  13. Where are we going?
    [​IMG]

    Why, its off to SJH Joinery for the interior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Get the bed fitted
    [​IMG]

    Soundproof
    [​IMG]
     
  14. trim time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  15. tow bar; cost us a tenner in steel and bits plus £85 for the JK hook up kit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    roofrack
    [​IMG]

    MOT time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  16. Out and about
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  17. His new, new motor - an AP code 1911cc type 4
    from this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    to this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Job done, Racefit endorsed & approved
    [​IMG]

    We love him to bits!
     
    iblaze, Sick Boy, physiopro and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page