This is my ride....

Discussion in 'Show Us Your Ride' started by gninnam, Oct 20, 2013.

  1. Lead loading was the proper way to repair defects before polyester filler came available
    Thats an old repair that takes a certain degree of skill to perfect
    And a good old dose of insanity if you dont were a dusk mask
     
  2. I have insanity by the bucket-load (don't we all to keep these beasts on the road) ;-)
     
    Valveandy and paradox like this.
  3. Started hacking the rear quarter cut tonight as I now know what is needed to be removed.

    Split it in half then started to chop up into closer to the shape needed - a few pics (nothing exciting I'm afraid)

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Then the area above the battery tray:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Started to cut it closer to the shape then ran out of cutting disks - plus it was getting dark

    [​IMG]

    That's it for now

    Cheers
     
    paradox likes this.
  4. Took the cut to be sandblasted at work (a bit easier than removing the paint and rust myself!!)
    But the guy wasn't in so will try again tomorrow!

    In the mean time - a couple of hours tonight.
    Didn't get the rear quarter cut sandblasted so thought I would start on the front and get it blended in and a bit of paint:

    I thought I would do one half and see how it goes so started to strip it back:

    [​IMG]

    Once I got it sorted I put a skim of filler, but I tried to touch it up and made a mess of it so will be pulling it off and start again :(

    So - decided to address the arch with some sanding then rust preventative primer:

    [​IMG]

    Then some red primer:

    [​IMG]

    Weather started to close in so instead of sanding decided to put on a few top coats:

    [​IMG]

    Will eventually get it sanded and finished properly (not after a perfect job just yet, just something to protect it for the coming winter!)

    Cheers
     
  5. Flippin' rain - put paid to anything major tonight :(

    Started to sand the filler I had put on yesterday and should be a good key to apply a proper skim and then sand back.
    Removed the red oxide paint where the weld is and just as I finished - it chucked it down......

    The start:
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Here is the seam showing (oh err missus....):
    [​IMG]

    Then I had to pack up so a pic of my work space (or lack of):
    [​IMG]

    Cheers
     
  6. Got the quarter cut back today and pleased :)
    A few pics:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The battery tray has some holes created by rust - do I cut out the whole of it and replace with a new one or plat it up?

    [​IMG]


    Oh - and removed the filler I put on the front panel as some of it hadn't hardened........
    Cheers
     
  7. Knackered - spent 7 hours filling/sanding, filling/sanding,etc.............

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Got it to a reasonable level so, as it was getting late, shoved some primer on.
    Tomorrow, if the weather is good, I will use the primer as a key to see if I can get it better and fill any pin holes etc!
    A few pics of with the primer on:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Cheers
     
    Merlin Cat and paradox like this.
  8. Another many hours sanding and filling :(
    Still not 100% but 110% better then it was :lol:

    Made a wind brake while I attempted to spray in the wind - worked ish....

    [​IMG]

    The sanded all down, washed then used a tack cloth to pick bit off the a splash of zinc primer followed by more sanding, washing then another tack cloth.
    Then red primer.
    Then sanded, washed, tack cloth then more red primer:

    [​IMG]

    Same again then put a top coat on:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Will leave for 24 hours, sand down with 1500, then give it another coat (assuming the weather holds up.

    Front panel soon be done (I hope) :D

    Cheers
     
    Merlin Cat and paradox like this.
  9. Thats looking loads better:thumbsup:
    Id replace the battery tray before you fit that rear corner
     
  10. Cheers for the comment :)

    You are right, I should replace the tray so will get one ordered this week (Heritage, JK, Schofield or one of the other ones)
     
  11. Get a genuine one not a repro whoever you order it from
     
  12. Thanks again
     
  13. Some more sanding with 1200 grit then another couple of coats:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Another few days then will use some 2000 grit and then a polish.


    Also, coated the cut with some rust prevention paint:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Ordering a new battery tray so will put this in before fitting the cut to the van!

    Cheers
     
  14. I think I'd be dry fitting the corner and tray at the same time before joining them, I've had to alter a few trays to stop them pushing the corner out too far and I alter them on the curve where they attach to the corner.
     
    paradox likes this.
  15. Will get the tray and see how it goes first, but agree no doubt some tweaking will be required.
     
  16. Steves replaced a lot more battery trays than i have so id go with his advice
     
  17. Thanks.
    I know he has so I will heed his advice!
     
  18. No van work in the last few days but dug out the old awning that came with the van when I bought it - apparently the same age as the van but not sure!
    Not to bad nick, the area next to were the door opens is damaged and a couple of small holes in the side (oh and smelly).
    The poles are usable (surface rust and a slight kink in on of the top poles but again usable!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Cheers
     
    paradox likes this.
  19. That awning will be back in fashion by the time you finish. :D
     
    Merlin Cat and 3901mick like this.
  20. Just gone off you :fool:
     

Share This Page