My 1970 bug

Discussion in 'Restorations' started by Zebedee, Sep 9, 2011.

  1. Got the remainder of the bumper mounting bolts squared up and bolted the mounts on after sticking some black tape along the middle.
    2018-07-31 15.35.35.jpg
    Valveandy likes this.
  2. Removed the sump plate and gave the underside a scrubbing with some degreaser then washed it off. Probably the cleanest its been in years. [​IMG]
    2018-08-02 15.36.42.jpg

    Topside was given a scrub too and hosed off. Needs a going over with a wire brush to remove the remains of the oxidisation.
    2018-08-02 16.06.54.jpg

    Original numbers matching F code 1300 engine. :)
    2018-08-02 16.06.07.jpg
    paradox likes this.
  3. Been struggling to fit the 1/4 lights in the doors as the outer window seal keeps snagging and getting dragged into the door by the dividing bar. :mad:
  4. still been watching looking good keep up the good work owen:worship:
  5. Little bits getting done here and there. Had to touch up a few scratches in the paint again from working in a small garage. :(

    I need to replace all the paper hoses under the bonnet and the two on the fanhousing as they all went soggy or got damaged. Gonna cost £58 :eek: for them all so been looking for cheaper alternatives.
  6. Dented the new chrome trim and scratched the paint fitting the 1/4 light today. :( Touch up done with a brush might look OKish after sanding and buffing.
    2018-08-10 14.49.55.jpg

    The chrome trim for the passengers door had a dent already when i removed it from its box. :(

    Cartune sticker i picked up at Tatton looks better with a vintage camera filter.
  7. Fitted the 1/4 light and window to the passengers door.

    Glass fitted to drivers door.

    Ended up with this small pucker. :(
    2018-08-12 14.42.54.jpg Doesn't look like theres anything i can do with it.

    Removed the exhaust and heat exchangers off the engine and put it on the dolly to move it into the garage.
    2018-08-12 16.13.13.jpg
    cunny44 and paradox like this.
  8. gently heat rubber up
  9. I've been told that before but not sure what to heat it with that won't damage anything.
  10. hair dryer or heat gun , i would use hair dry ,gently does it
    Zebedee likes this.
  11. I'll give it a go and see what happens. :thumbsup:

    Got the low pressure side of the brake system done today. Used £3.50p worth of 8mm aluminium tube from B&Q. I was never gonna spend £28 on the correct stuff from the VW shops. :rolleyes:
    2018-08-13 14.22.26.jpg

    2018-08-13 14.22.34.jpg
    Cable tied the brake switch wiring to it so theres no chance of it getting tangled in anything.

    Still need to open the holes out in the brake hose mount as the Vauxhall brake hoses i have are slightly bigger diameter than the VW ones so won't fit through. Not enough space to get my drill in so gonna have to use the dremel with grinding stone.
    Bulletooth, womball and paradox like this.
  12. Bought a set of spot lights off ebay for £8. Missing their mounting brackets but thats not a problem as i have a few off knackered Ring ones.
    Saw a similar set at Tatton for £60. :D
  13. Seller just contacted me and refunded my payment as apparently when they were taken out of the box to pack they both have cracked lenses now. :rolleyes:
    Whats the bet they'll be back on next week for a higher price? :thinking:
  14. Bid on them again then don't pay wait till he asked you to pay for them;) and say send me an invoice for £10 :p
  15. Used a dremel to open the brake hose mounts on the framehead a little so the vauxhall flexy hoses fitted, flared the ends of the hard lines and bolted them in.
    Passengers side flexy still needs doing but i need to move a ton of stuff to be able to get to that side of the car. :(
    2018-08-16 16.18.08.jpg
    2018-08-16 16.17.51.jpg
  16. Fitted the brake hose on the passengers side this afternoon.
    2018-08-18 15.28.13.jpg
    2018-08-18 15.28.20.jpg
    Needs the grommet fitting on the fuel line once i find it.

    Installed the rear firewall cover too.
    2018-08-18 16.05.53.jpg
    Not particularly pretty, but at 48 years old not much is. :p

    Attached Files:

  17. shouldn t be long now looking sweet:thumbsup::hattip:
  18. I'm starting to loose the will to finish it. :oops:

    To do list isn't that long now.
    Got the brakes to adjust and bleed.
    Headliner to make and fit.
    Fit the doors.
    Fit interior.
    Bolt on wings and lights.
    Sort out the wheels and buy some tyres.

    Got a little bit done this afternoon. Ran a couple of wires under the arches for horns and feed for spotlights.
    Stuck some closed cell foam to the underside of the tank where it sits on the tank surround, fitted the new outlet i bought in 2012 and fished out the old intank filter that had been floating around in there for a few decades.
    2018-08-19 16.20.01.jpg
    Got the sender unit cleaned up but need to find the mounting screws and make a new seal for it.
    Needs all the hoses and vent pipes replacing as the rubber has split and crumbled away. :rolleyes:
    crossy2112 and paradox like this.
  19. all looking very neat chin up you ve come this far
  20. Bought this on ebay on a whim.
    2018-08-21 10.04.54.jpg
    My dad had the same unit on his mk1 escort for many years and it made a helluva difference to starting and running. Has brackets to clip it to the coil.

Share This Page