dvla are crap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kevs t2, Jul 13, 2018.

  1. so sent off my v5 with letter explaining that my bus should be tax exempt as its a 75 model along with birth certificate , got my v5 back without any changes on it ,so went on dvla site , guess what they want 278 pounds to tax it after I was assured on phone that it was historic and tax free wtf , I give up feel like burning the bus what a waste of time , and no sign of my birth certificate they said theyd return not happy at all today
  2. Baysearcher

    Baysearcher [secret moderator]

    No use now but you should have just taken the certificate and your V5 into a post office!
    mgbman and davidoft like this.
  3. theyd probably not know anything mate ,there about as much use as dvla
  4. Baysearcher

    Baysearcher [secret moderator]

    They did mine in about 2 minutes.
    Lasty and mgbman like this.
  5. whats the taxation class on your v5 mate
  6. Baysearcher

    Baysearcher [secret moderator]

    Historic now
  7. on mine says plg so after 3 weeks ive accomplished nothing
  8. Baysearcher

    Baysearcher [secret moderator]

    Honestly, try your local post office.
    mgbman likes this.
  9. what did you take mate just v5 or did you need an mot exempt form too?
  10. Baysearcher

    Baysearcher [secret moderator]

    MOT exemption didn’t exist when I did mine.
    You just need your V5 and proof of build date.
  11. I feel for you mate. I’ve wasted many a day trying to tell the machine what they should be doing. Frustrating doesn’t come near.
    I would spend a bit more time trying to get that birth certificate back though. That is precious and makes it all the more annoying.
    If you get that back take both bits off paper to a MAIN post office branch as I had to spend ages telling my local one the new rules.
    Good luck and don’t give up.
  12. It's so easy - forget the DVLA , go to any decent post office and they'll sort it all out .
    It's been said enough times on here , if you'd done a quick search could have saved you weeks of barking up the wrong tree...

    Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
  13. I did mine at post office. took 2 mins. Just needed V5
  14. I took my beetle stuff to local post office and they didn't have a clue but between the two very helpful friendly women and me it got sorted in about ten minutes.
    nicktuft likes this.
  15. Go to Post Office and do the whole lot there and then including mot exemption. Its easy.
  16. Merlin Cat

    Merlin Cat Moderator

    My local post office weren’t sure so I rang Dvla, they said go back to the post office.
    Post office women not impressed with Dvla. Don’t shoot the messenger I said!

    P.O put me as disabled, no tax to pay. Reg docs came back as disabled!!!

    Finally about to ring and say error and a new reg doc arrived with tax class historic. :thumbsup:
  17. Poptop2

    Poptop2 Moderator

    Did ours in the post office in two minutes. They looked at the V5, looked at the first registration date. Registered it on the PO computer as historic and sent the V5 off to Swansea for change of keeper as we had both pieces off the PO to specifically do the historic thing at the PO rather than Swansea and all that faff!
    Merlin Cat likes this.
  18. Yep, forget dealing with the DVLA as they are utterly useless!
    I did mine at a Post office, actually it was the third one I tried but in the end took about 3 minutes:thumbsup:
    Merlin Cat likes this.
  19. yeh mine is an import first reg here in 82 but declared manufactured in 1975, I'm expecting probs at the po probably with a que ten miles long behind me
    Poptop2 and Merlin Cat like this.
  20. I emailed the dvla regarding mot exemption and the replied as below. Hope this helps

    "Thank you for your email enquiry concerning an MOT Exemption.

    Under new legislation that came into effect on 20 May 2018, certain vehicles constructed or first registered more than 40 years ago are now exempt from MOT testing, unless they have been substantially changed.

    As long as the DVLA have a date of manufacture/first use on the vehicle record which shows the vehicle is over 40 years old, the on-line tax renewal system and other enforcement systems should automatically pick up that the vehicle is MOT exempt.

    If, for some reason, the system is still not allowing a vehicle to be taxed, there is also a V112 (self-declaration from MOT) application form that can be completed and taken to a Post Office.

    The V112 can be found here and was updated to show the above exemption on 20 May 2018. The DVLA vehicle enquiry service appears to show the MOT section in green with the wording 'no details held' to indicate an MOT exemption.

    I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again. "

    Over 90% of customers surveyed are satisfied with the service we have provided. Let us know what you think by clicking here.

    Kind regards,
    Elizabeth O’Connell | Customer Service Centre
    Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN
    Phone: 0300 123 9000

Share This Page