Chilli, The funky green chillin' machine!

Discussion in 'Show Us Your Ride' started by Skyelectrix, Mar 13, 2015.

  1. One job ive been putting off as it looked a complete headache...
    new genuine vw frame,
    new seal from autocraft
    dividing bar and outer frame & clamp from NLA
    and a crap rubber seal from....well they're all crap aint they?

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]



    and it was!!!

    [​IMG]


    but its in!

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. managed to prep new dash ready for the paint boys to wave their magic spraygun all over it..

    [​IMG]

    is now in primer and in the works van ready to be dropped off tomorrow..
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  3. Rear Hub with new bearings and seals, drum and new shocker back on


    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    paradox and womball like this.
  4. its a hover bus!


    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    womball likes this.
  5. Underlay for the cab mats from madmatz.

    [​IMG]

    also managed to loosely fit the front seat belts to see that they will work ok with the cab mats. think ill fit the belt brackets first and just let a small slit into the mats for them to fit over before bolting the belt mechs in.
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    womball and rob.e like this.
  6. more done again today...really must go back to work tho...or there'll be no money to buy shiney things!!

    [​IMG]

    so..beam out!
    and ordered yet more parts..but to be fair the beam is solid with only a bit of surface rust on the chassis behind.
    Will need new swivel pin, track rod ends, ball joints,ARB rubbers and steering damper.
    might as well do the bearings and seals plus ive got new calipers, discs and hoses to go on

    I bought new roller bearings and seals for the beam a while ago but have read they are a pig to fit, is this right?
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  7. not too bad under here..


    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    D5andy likes this.
  8. thought id better check the head unit fit in the new dash before I dropped it off for paint. good job too as it snagged on the way in, so drilled and filed and checked fit. think ill go with a custom ally surround if I can find someone to cut it out...

    anyway its at the coachworks now...should be bavk in a week so I can get the dash all back together and start working out where all the wires go!


    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    shielsy and gazcbm like this.
  9. Wow, its coming along great.
     
    Skyelectrix likes this.
  10. Look out wallet, dubfreeze here we come!
     
    womball likes this.
  11. Don't touch that just put it back as it's in nice original condition :D that's bad :(
     
    Skyelectrix likes this.
  12. Rat look!!
     
    womball likes this.
  13. I thought that also ...came back empty handed :(
     
    Skyelectrix likes this.
  14. Funny that..me too! Couldn't get near anything for the crowds!
     
    Marmite monster likes this.
  15. more updates...
    after the previous weekend where nothing got done, ive managed a bit more...

    fitted silent coat to the fuel tank void, hopefully this will stop a bit o drumming. will probably use closed cell on the inside
    [​IMG]

    Then fitted the freshly media blasted and powdercoated tank. im not going to fit the bulkhead just yet as I'm not totally happy with the new breather joiner hoses. I think they should really be a marine grade etc. After reading quite a few threads on the subject on LB, I don't really want to take all this out again just to change perished hoses

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  16. oh and the gearbox cradle has been coated too...you can just see it fitted in the photo above
     
  17. Finally managed to source a bodycut for the hole hacked into the floor above the fuel sender. Deadturtle on LB came up trumps and was an absolute star sending me said piece FOC through the post..cheers fella. So used some B&Q draught seal stuff to hopefully get a good seal. Stainless screws and washers to hold it down. It doesn't fit 100% as the floor is a bit damaged where it was originally hacked but its good enough..

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    rob.e likes this.
  18. Built up the hub and new backplates on the other side with new bearings, seals, wheel cylinder, shoes and a dab of copper grease on the new adjusters.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  19. stripped out the steering column just to check coupling which it seems has seen better days..

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  20. When I dropped the front beam I noticed a small amount of surface rust underneath so thought a bit of futher investigation was in order. It looks like the van was undersealed years ago although im not sure if they were coated from the factory. Without really thinking about it I also got the guys at the coachworks to give it a blast of underseal while it was there, which now seems like a bit of a mistake! It does come off ok to reveal pretty good metal underneath but it is very, very, very slow progress! hoping to treat the rust with FE-123 and then epoxy mastic to give it a chance against the UK's moist climate..

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

Share This Page